Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bombs Away!!!

Friday I got a call from a friend to see if we were interested in flying in the WWII B-17 Bomber from Falcon Field on Saturday afternoon. They had two seats available on a flight. First of all, let's be clear that I am a wimp (Debbie's words after the fact) and I know nothing about planes from any era. I also am afraid of heights and have claustrophobia, but my husband, on the other hand, LOVES planes. In fact, his first question when I asked if he was interested was "Can I take a camera?" So we took advantage of the opportunity and took flight. The plane was the "Sentimental Journey". Needless to say, my husband was a very happy person when he got to sit in the bombadier seat for takeoff. I settled for the navigator spot.
The flight was around 20 minutes in the air. We had a few minutes' delay in taking off, but the problems were dealt with and we were off. Carol was on the ground to take pictures of our ascent. She did a great job of capturing the moment.



We started off the flight in the nose, but the other four people on the flight also got their opportunity for the great view. Once we left the front of the plane, we had to climb under a low divider and onto the catwalk across the bomb bay. It was very narrow! We had been told ahead of time that if we dropped anything down there during the flight we should just leave it there and they would get it after the flight - comforting thought!! Looking at pictures reminds me how narrow that walk really was!!!



During the pre-flight briefing, we were told that we could move around the plane once they reached level altitude, especially in the back of the plane. I thought they were crazy. I figured I would be in my seat, belted in, until we landed. Actually I didn't sit down until it was time to land - it was amazing even to me.


Duane had the opportunity to "shoot a gun", he got to take a ton of pictures (even some with the bomb bay doors open), and he got the opportunity for this once-in-a-lifetime flight. As we were getting off the plane, I told him Debbie would be his best friend forever.


Carol had a great time taking pictures while we were flying and topped it off with pictures of the incoming landing.



"Sentimental Journey" rolled off the assembly line in late 1944 and has been used in a variety of roles through the years. Now it can be seen at the Commemorative Air Force Museum at Mesa's Falcon Field until May when it heads out for its summer tour of airshows and displays. What a piece of history and a treat.




THANKS DEB!!!

1 comment:

Barbie said...

What an amazing experience. You guys must be living right!