Friday, November 28, 2008

A Day of Thanks...

I love the Thanksgiving routine we have developed over the last couple of years - we start the day by volunteering for the Whitneybell Perry Turkey Trot. This was the 29th year and proceeds benefit the Arizona Chapters of the American Diabetes Association. The Turkey Trot takes place along the Arizona Canal in Phoenix. The volunteers are there to help with safety at the road crossings along the way. We wear orange vests and carry flags and encourage the participants to cross with caution. We get many "thank yous" as people pass by.

We were at the second crossing this year (44th Street and Camelback) and it was much busier than where we were last year, but it went well. We were done in a coouple of hours - just as the morning sprinkles started. It was raining a little heavier as we were driving to the end of the line to drop off our supplies, but not too bad.

After the Turkey Trot, we came home and got the turkey going and then took naps, watched tv, and relaxed. Carol and Duane took care of all the food preparations for the day and once things were all ready, we did Carol's favorite activity of the day while eating - watched Christmas movies. It was quiet and peaceful.

Since I did not do anything to help, I felt extra lazy - but hopefully once I get through a a few more sessions of physical therapy my shoulders will be in better shape and I won't be so useless.

The purpose of the day is to take time to recognize the things in our lives we are thankful for. I don't do that very often especially because so many things seem to blow up in our faces - the preverbial "one step forward and two steps back", but I have to stop and remember what blessings I do have.

I have a wonderful husband who will do anything for me (and for anyone else). I have a beautiful daughter who does what she is supposed to do. I have a testimony of the gospel that strengthens me daily. We all have good jobs in this difficult economic time. We have the opportunity to be together and serve others. Today I am grateful that I am in the middle of a few days off (YEAH for holidays!!!)

2 comments:

Troop 220 said...

Kari,
I love that you have a blog. I can't wait to keep reading what you and Duane are up to. I, too, am gratful for many things. My little family and my wonderful husband. I hope you continue to get better. Wonder what the two of us would look like if we got together. You and your shoulder and me and my bum leg. We would be a pair I'm sure. I'll update my blog soon. I have some great pictures of the kids to post. I hope you had a great few days off. :)

Michelle said...

Sounds like your day was great. We loved seeing you the day after - its always nice to visit w/ you