Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Shadow Day

I had an amazing opportunity today. As part of Mesa Leadership, we are required to shadow a community business leader for a day as they go about their work. The purpose is to observe and question a leader in a one-on-one environment. I chose to shadow the Program Manager of a local emergency homeless shelter. I did not really have any preconceived notions going into the day and the day definitely evolved as it went by.

While there was not a specific schedule to fill the day, it ended up being a fairly full day and it was definitely a learning experience. I was so impressed with the Program Manager and how she operates. Over and over, her theme of "empowering the individual" was demonstrated as she dealt with her staff and made decisions related to clients at the facility. Her approach to everything she does at the shelter is to celebrate the positive, help the clients set goals and move towards their exit date with all the support possible, and trust in the goodness of others.

She walked me through case files and everything that goes into just having a family stay at the center. I was able to sit in on a client meeting (and had to sign the meeting report as part of the legal documentation). I attended a Parenting Class that is a mandatory part of residency for families. The class was on germs and diseases - interesting discussion there. Of course, I ended up witnessing a couple of unfortunate incidents with residents during my visit.

While there were some negative moments as part of the day, overall it was a very positive experience because of how the Manager approaches her day. It also made me even more appreciative of the jobs we have, the home we have, the blessings we have. There are so many things that don't go right from day to day, but I think I need days like today to remind me that I have so many things to be grateful for.

No comments: